KING, N.C. (WGHP) – Over 500 people attended a public hearing held by the King City Council on Monday to discuss the ongoing Christian flag controversy.
City officials shared three different options they are considering: permanently remove the flag from the memorial, create limited public forum and policy which would designate single flag pole to display flags of religions, religious symbols, or emblems recognized by U.S. military for placement on government markers or to transfer memorial to private entity (such as a Veterans group).
The city council voted to take down the christian flag after the ACLU and another group threatened the city with a lawsuit — a lawsuit that was estimated to cost $200,000 to $300,000 to defeat.
Since the flag was removed, Christian flags can been seen flying from businesses to homes to vehicles
The City Council made no decision Monday night before an overflow crowd of over 500 people.
“I came to stand for Christ,” said Christian Flag supporter James Joyce.
The third option is the most popular option among city officials, because selling the land would put the memorial off public property, which would allow the Christian flag to go back up.
“I believe if our freedoms are worth the sacrifice that our young men and women made throughout our history (then) our freedoms are still worthy,” said Marine Sergeant Nathanial Cline, who is an Iraq veteran.
After Cline addressed the audience, he was given a standing ovation.
Another hot topic in King is a monument at the veteran’s memorial that depicts a soldier kneeling in front of a cross.
An anonymous caller contacted the City of King earlier this month, claiming the monument unconstitutional and threatening a lawsuit if the monument was not taken down by Friday.
The American Legion put up the monument, which sits on city property, several months ago. King City Manager John Cater said the monument would remain at least for now